Feed on
Posts
Comments

Calvin and Hobbes.

My son got a special package in the mail today… It’s a replica of the stuffed tiger Hobbes from the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip.

This is meant to be the stuffed version of Hobbes, as opposed to the anthropomorphic tiger from Calvin’s point of view. Bill Watterson, the comic’s creator, has refused the use of Calvin and Hobbes in merchandising of any sort and thus there are no authorized reproductions in existence, though I suspect everyone will want one after seeing how taken my son was with this one. I had it custom made as a gift for him.

And maybe it’s just me, but I think he looks a little like Calvin when he carries it around.

[picture]

[picture]

[picture]

Here’s Hobbes all by himself:

[picture]

I think it turned out pretty good. (Mr. Watterson, please don’t sue me. I have a Calvin to feed.)

15 Responses to “Calvin and Hobbes.”

1. on 26 Dec 2007 at 9:56 pm Jim Clark

I’m not making these, selling these, or helping you make them, so please don’t ask. I only had the one made for my son. If you want one of your own, my advice would be to do what I did… find someone who knows how to crochet and ask them to make you one.

2. on 26 Dec 2007 at 9:49 pm joey

Hello, love the hobbes replica, could you please if possible send me info via email as to how i might be able to get a stuffed hobbes myself, i would greatly appreciate it.

3. on 08 Aug 2009 at 11:53 am Hobbes the Tiger

Bill Watterson is against merchandising the characters.
    I know there was someone on ebay selling stuffed Hobbes and Watterson threatened them and ebay jerked the auctions and kicked the seller off.

In a way its sad because there are a lot of fans who’d love to have their own Hobbes to sleep with and go into an imaginary childs world with..especially when their wives are nagging and they are out of shotgun ammo…but I can also respect the altruism Watterson lives up to.

He left many readers in tears when the strip ended….it was like many of us losing an old friend…but maybe one day he may return…we can always hope.

4. on 28 Oct 2009 at 1:34 pm Alexandra

Hey I just saw your pic, I would like to know how make my baby a hobbes, could you please send me the information to my email.

5. on 06 Dec 2009 at 3:28 am Trit

Nice one. We would like info on how to get one or two of the characters.

6. on 06 Dec 2009 at 4:43 am uberVU - social comments

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Reddit by Kijamon: I would weep tears of joy at having this. Make me one…

7. on 06 Dec 2009 at 8:07 am Tracy Brady Cartoons

What beautiful blue eye! Awww

8. on 06 Dec 2009 at 8:10 am Tracy Brady Cartoons

took me 3 tries to make that last comment and then I left off the “s” .. drat…

9. on 07 Dec 2009 at 10:48 pm Mysteryleo

I was such a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan when I was little. I could see myself doing this too.

Really weird how he won’t let Hobbes me merchandised. Seems like a lost opportunity.

10. on 08 Dec 2009 at 8:32 am fag

where can I buy something like that

MAKE IT QUICK!

11. on 09 Dec 2009 at 12:16 pm HobbestheSecond

heres one i made for a halloween costume

12. on 09 Dec 2009 at 1:08 pm mrwords

that is a nice father to make a custom toy, it would be nice if custom toys were more affordable

13. on 15 Dec 2009 at 7:18 am Kathleen

Hey, this was totally awesome and I’m glad there’s one out there. He looks supercute with his big blue eyes and his little tiger!

However, everyone asking for their own should realize that scores of him makes him not as special…..that “imaginary child’s world” can and has happened with any number of stuffed animal companions….better to give your child their own special little friend and the gift of imaginative play. That’s right….you love C&H and your kids? Turn off the TV, get your toboggan, go blast into imaginary outer space while wearing tinfoil helmets! Not having a copy of Hobbes will not stop you from enjoying C&H or imagination! In fact, not seeing Hobbes stuffed in the back window of someone’s car will help preserve his magic for me.

Also, he already said no dice in the first two posts, so you’re being either rude or lazy.

*harrumph*

/grumpy grown lady
    //you can imagine your own, or just use Calvin’s mom

14. on 14 Jan 2010 at 4:43 pm Adam

Hi Jim,

This Hobbes doll looks incredible, and I’m sure my son would love one as well. Would you please pass along my email to the person who made it? I’d love to purchase one just like it, or even just the pattern.

Thank you!

Adam
    hobbesdoll [theATsymbol] adamkuhr [DOT] com

15. on 15 Jan 2010 at 10:29 pm Jim Clark

Nope, sorry, I won’t.

Would you care to comment on this?

You must be logged in to post a comment.
(Go ahead, it's easy to register. I promise I won't spam you.)